the wandering americanist

American Literature. Graduate School. Oh, and uh..fast cars, danger, fire, and knives.

Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

"The Rube is a social liability with [her] attacks as [she] calls them." - Burroughs, shamelessly (or -fully) mutilated

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Literary Social Media and Future Wanderings

Just finished a momentary break from the ATD excitement to hang out (for a few minutes, anyway) over at LibraryThing. Right now, I'm on 291 in ATD, and the next enormous update comes on 429 (the end of book two, start of book three). But yeah, I kind of started to think about what I'll do after all this ATD excitement. I'll be very heavy into my research (being a graduate student, after all) even as soon as tomorrow...so the ATD stuff will kind of switch to a side, though certainly not a backburner.

The reviews that will probably show up here after my first read-through of ATD draws to a close will likely be on texts related to my research (e.g. Poe's Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym and Cooper's The Sea Lions). There may also be a few rather zany comments on Charles Wilkes' 1838-1842 narrative of the U.S. Exploration Expedition as well as other random things either on James Fenimore Cooper, Isaac Hecker (Fruitlands participant and founder of the Paulist Fathers), or the guy that wandered around New England and cursed at people (another Fruitlands participant).

Anyway. Back to the concept of literary social media! I'm really interested in exploring the possibilities therein. I think that it is so important and so, well, awesome. Ever since alternatives to the written word have existed individuals for whom I harbor few fond sentiments (including my ex) have snidely declared literature obsolete (and yes, he became my ex due in large part to this ill-forethought declaration).

Well, back to the Pynchon. Enjoy Thanksgiving, everyone. See you on 429!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home