the wandering americanist

American Literature. Graduate School. Oh, and uh..fast cars, danger, fire, and knives.

Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

"The Rube is a social liability with [her] attacks as [she] calls them." - Burroughs, shamelessly (or -fully) mutilated

Friday, November 24, 2006

ATD- distracted by...uh...my research

So I'm floating around in the late 300s of ATD and the entire Wild West thing is slowly killing me because I got so excited about the cartography CoC subplot and Kit's visit to Tesla and subsequent relocation to Germany and Dally's adventures in the New York drama scene and her (surprisingly dull) reunion with her mother, but yeah...seeing as I have a paper draft due for a course on Monday, I have decidedly moved ATD to the back-burner for the time being. Agh, necessity...I just don't want to have to fly through Pynchon - that's no way to read for pleasure.

Anyway, I have long sensed the the imminence of my return to my research, perhaps most strongly when I encountered my topic in ATD. I've taken a few days off, which is practically unheard of for me, but I had heard a little voice in my ear - you know the professor in Pi? - saying "Take a bath!" So I bathed in les mots magnifiques du Pynchon and now I actually plan to (ideally) integrate a bit of Pynchonia with all of the Symzonia soon to take over my existence. I still plan to finish ATD by next weekend, just right now...yeah...research.

It might be a drag if my research wasn't such a blast!

Expect an update tonight as I read, from cover to cover, John Symmes wild and wacky Symzonia. Why is this important? Well get this! Symzonia is one of the VERY FIRST American works of Science Fiction and it is the first American Utopian novel! Woah! Oh yeah!

Ahem. So run, don't walk, to your nearest research library (unless you're at UT-Austin because the only other copies on Campus are in the HRC (linked for the uninitiated) and they just so happen to be closed) and pick up a copy of a Symzonia facsimile! Yay, 19th century American sci fi!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Symzonia" (?) Poe's "Pym Narrative" ... Are you familiar with these titles:

Beneath the Earth : The Facts and The Fables (Landscapes of Legend)
Finn Bevan, Diana Mayo (Illustrator)

Baron Trump's Marvelous Underground Journey(1893) Ingersoll Lockwood

A Journey to the Center of the Earth Jules Verne (1864)
Jules Vernes timeless classic.

A Guide to the Inner Earth
Bruce Walton (1988) (Health Research, Inc.]

A Journey to the Earth's Interior or "Have The Poles Really Been Discovered?"
Marshall B Gardner (1913)
Explains scientific evidence and applies logical perception to the hollow Earth theory/fact.

Arktos: The Polar Myth in Science, Symbolism, and Nazi Survival (1992)
Joscelyn Godwin (Phanes Press)

Etidorpha -
John Uri Lloyd (1895.) A man's journey into the Earth's interior with his faceless guide. The 1st and 11th edition include related scientific experiments to help verify theories.

Phantom of the Poles -
William Reed (1906.)
The first scientific investigation through the accounts of Arctic explorers.

*Richard Shaver Mysteries -
First appeared in Ray Palmers (Editor/Writer-"Flying Saucers" magazine] Amazing Stories (1944.) Richard Shaver explains subsurface inhabitants, their dwellings and their purpose for remaining hidden from the surface species.

Secret Places of the Lion - George Hunt Williamson

Subterranean Worlds (1989)-
Walter Kaffton-Minkel (Loompanics Ultd.]
Research regarding subterranean worlds and civilizations, the reptilians, the Shaver mysteries and many, many other "wonderful and frightening secrets."

Lion People, The -
Murray Hope (1988) (Thoth Publications]

Underpeople, The -
Eric Norman

Smokey God, The -
Willis George Emerson (1965.)
Olaf Jansens story of a trip with his father into the Earth's interior.

Worlds Beyond The Poles -
F. Amadeo Giannini.
Scientific reasoning and the theory applied to the existence of a hollow Earth.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home